2022 Conference Highlights
Between 2020 and today, nearly every single organization experienced a massive paradigm shift in how they compute, deliver critical resources, and support users. Organizations are dealing with new challenges, more connectivity requirements, and an even greater emphasis on green technologies.
Emerging questions around optimal data center design, uptime and resiliency, and risk posturing are keeping many professionals up at night. To meet these challenges, the 2022 conference featured:
- Focus on the Future - From the metaverse to virtual reality to liquid cooling, future technologies were applied to modern use-cases
- Data Centers Up Close & Personal - We hosted site tours of two leading colocation centers in the Austin metro
- Sustainability - We discussed how we as an industry are focusing on new solutions like water sustainability, power research, new battery solutions, and even nuclear-powered data centers
- Sustainable debt, investments, and ESG - We covered the sustainable solutions making the biggest impact on investments and growth in the data center space
- Careers, Networking, & Development - Attendees heard from the future of the data center industry. Plus new sessions, workshops, and even internship opportunities were available.
- Inaugural Omdia Research Forum - Expert data center and cloud analysts hosted in-depth sessions covering key trends to watch in 2022 and beyond
- Power Up Program - Data Center World launched its Power Up Program in order to educate and mentor students currently in technical or electrical fields of study
- Women in the Data Center Workshop – A workshop designed to advance careers & build networks for women in the data center industry. Interactive discussions focused on topics like skills based mapping, presenting a holistic self, and emerging technologies & careers in the data center.
- Data Center Startup Challenge – Our second annual startup competition pitted data center technology startups against each other as judges determined the companies with the best opportunity for success
- Case Studies – More than 15 sessions highlighting real-world projects from companies like FUJIFILM, Vertiv, Urban Dynamics, University of Chicago and University of Kentucky
- Presentations and demos on vital security issues like leveraging open source, providing colocation protection, developing advanced frameworks, and establishing physical site security
The Focus on the Future
It's always amazing to look ahead but in 2022 we did things a bit differently. We still looked to the future, but focused on discussing practical applications of real technologies. Augmented and virtual reality in the data center? You bet, attendees put on some VR gear to literally see the future of data center management. Liquid cooling? Attendees got to see real-world solutions on the showroom floor. In 2022, we applied future technologies to modern use-cases.
Data Centers -- Up close and personal
Have you noticed just how amazing and active the data center industry is today? Mergers, acquisitions, unparalleled growth are all happening in this space. Why is this all happening? Because data centers are really cool! And what better way to experience that coolness than being up close and personal with a real-life data center! At Data Center World 2022, we conducted site tours of two leading co-location data centers in the Austin metro area: Element Critical and LightEdge. This insider’s tour gave attendees VIP access to the leading best practices and innovations taking place within these centers.
An entirely new approach and discussion around sustainability
The discussion around sustainability only continues to evolve. Now more than ever before, entire teams, compensation structures, and even corporate leadership are all focusing on sustainability. Yes, we've discussed this in the past. But at the 2022 event, we discussed real solutions, how sustainability impacts your facilities, and new approaches to create a greener future. We covered new technologies, sustainable financing, and what future sustainable designs will look like. Natural resources are scarce. For the first time ever, we discussed how we as an industry are focusing on new solutions like water sustainability, power research, new battery solutions, and even nuclear-powered data centers!
Sustainable debt, and new investments in the data center industry
Our industry is growing faster than ever before. In one day alone we saw two of the largest mergers ever in the data center space. At Data Center World 2022, we expanded the conversation to a new topic: sustainable debt, investments, and ESG. The conference featured more investors, capital finance leaders, and people who are very interested in learning how sustainable debt will impact the future of the data center industry. Specifically, we discussed which sustainable solutions will make the biggest impact on investments and growth in the data center space.
A new focus on careers, networking, and development
The future of the data center is bright, diverse, and inclusive. However, it'll take ALL of you to get to that better place. At the 2022 conference we heard from, literally, the future of the data center industry. New sessions, workshops, and even internship opportunities were available. We heard what's important, how to get the best talent into the data center space, and -- this is the cool part -- we partnered with schools and universities to make a real difference! We heard about all-new programs in schools, how industry pros can get involved, and where you can turn for young and talented people to help fill your data centers!
The Inaugural Omdia Research Forum
This half-day event within an event featured expert data center and cloud analysts who led in-depth sessions covering key trends to watch in 2022 and beyond. Featuring a direct line into the independent data center and cloud research used by the largest companies in the industry, the Omdia team of industry veterans turned analysts shed light on the key trends and technologies data center operators should care about.
Leading Solutions Providers
At Data Center World 2022, we hosted 150+ exhibitors, including: Eaton, Vertiv, Virginia-Georgia Transformer, ITRenew, Raritan and more!
Data Center World's Expo Hall is the only place to find key data center technology providers displaying their solutions in one location. Network with top industry solution providers and uncover all the latest technologies, products and services your company needs.